Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rainy Day Movie: 500 Days of Summer

I don't know why, but whenever it's cold or rainy, it always makes me want to watch one of my favorite movies, 500 Days of Summer. This movie is less well known, but it's one of those movies that if you've seen, you either love it or hate it. I obviously love it. I won't completely spoil it, but it's an unconventional romantic comedy, as the happy ending isn't as perfect as you expect movie endings would be. It's realistic. It's witty. Most of all, it's real and relatable.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Tom asks Summer why her past relationships didn't work out, and her response is "What always happens. Life." This is so true and refreshing. It reminds us that people grow in life and may grow apart in relationships. It doesn't mean they ended badly, it just means that life changes and so do we, and it changes our feelings and decisions.

I find Summer's theories on relationships to be very similar to my own philosophies. She never really gets involved or falls in too deep, and I feel that I'm always afraid to invest myself in a relationship because they can be so time consuming and messy.
Finally, I love that Tom starts out the movie so invested in finding love, so hopeful on finding that one true person. This is how I often feel. However, through the course of the relationship/movie, he changes his mind, as does Summer.
So the point of this post is that this is a great rainy day movie(and great movie in general) and has a lot of important life lessons in it and a relationship/love story that you don't usually see a lot in movies. I think Hollywood should make more movies like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment